IT Support Engineer
Our overall mission is simple: we want Amazon to be the place where our customers can find, discover and buy anything online. Whatever our customers want, we will find the means to deliver it. With your help, Amazon will continue to enable people to discover new worlds and implement innovation.
This is your chance to make history.
The Amazon IT teams keep our business running smoothly by resolving complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, with both on-site and on-call capacity for our Operations network.
***Please note that given the local law in Saudi Arabia, this role is open only to Saudi nationals***
As an IT Support Engineer you will report to the IT Manager at your home site and will be responsible for working closely with the business, your colleagues and remote support teams to implement and maintain critical infrastructure elements as well as some day to day support to meet our operations present and future business needs. You will be an escalation point for the team of IT Support Technicians, remote teams and Operations on technical issues, as well as an interface between these teams as required.
Besides your day-to-day activities, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in projects and innovate. You will be a key part of a multinational team, thrive in delivering high-quality results and always be on the lookout for improvements.
Business Area: Operations – Fulfilment Center and Logistics
Operations are at the heart of the Amazon customer experience. Each action we undertake is done on behalf of our customers, as meeting their expectations makes us feel good.
The Operations teams in our Fulfilment Centres are responsible for controlling the vast range of fast-paced inventory from inbound to outbound and work very hard to ensure that our customers receive what they want, when they want it. Ops Tech IT is at the heart of this process and plays a vital role to the business ability to meet the customer promise.
Working as part of a busy support team, your key duties will require you to implement and maintain IT infrastructure, as well as interfacing confidently both verbally and written to senior management stakeholders at varying levels across multiple business entities. You will provide a support service that ensures all IT equipment and infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met on your home site as well as any remote sites that you and your team also support. You will also be running projects across the site, working closely with the business, fellow engineers and remote support teams to implement changes and/or additions to the site’s technology infrastructure to support changing business and IT requirements. You will also have a keen eye for business and/or technology trends. There is a requirement for occasional travel.
The extent of your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Managing the availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through continuous improvement and continuously look to improve equipment efficiencies and cost reductions accordingly.
• Liaising with global SME teams to facilitate the installation and maintenance of networking and server infrastructure, in accordance to Amazon standards.
• The creation, review, revision and execution of change management requests and project plans as required.
• Perform site audits on technical infrastructure to ensure adherence to latest Amazon IT and Health & Safety guidelines as required.
• Represent the IT department in site meetings / conference calls and be the point of contact/escalation for the business and other support functions.
• Act as a point of contact for contractors or external suppliers and clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
• Undertake project management:
• Act as a single point of contact for projects.
• Provide technical and management support/input to site and team projects/initiatives.
• Keep key stakeholders informed of progress of projects and maintain project documentation in the required format.
• Provide validation and sanity check the technical execution of projects.
• Provide direction and support to the IT Support Technicians as required with regards to trouble tickets (issues) and action items (requests).
• Managing and supporting the updating and auditing of departmental documentation.
• Continuously be focused on your customers, delivering an outstanding level of service.
• Interact with suppliers, request quotes and purchase equipment in accordance with policies, budgets and operational demand.
• Produce weekly reports covering metrics and work performed.
• Contribute to the paid on-call schedule covering your home site and sites within your node/region for high severity incidents.
• Provide mentoring and training to technicians and other engineers, and act as technical contact for remote support teams as and when required.
• Support the recruitment of new talent into Ops Tech IT (once trained)
*Please note*: The position will involve some physical labor carried out in accordance with Amazon health and safety standards. IT Support Engineers may be required to work in confined spaces and perform maintenance work accessing elevated spaces (working at height).
The successful candidate will have:
• First line / second line experience supporting enterprise network hardware (using Cisco products an advantage).
• A strong background in supporting and troubleshooting Networks – LAN / WAN and Wireless.
• Good working knowledge of enterprise switches, firewalls, and using the CLI.
• Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, the OSI 7layer model, DNS, DHCP, VPNs, HSRP or other high availability solutions.
• Understanding of wireless networking in an enterprise environment such as coverage challenges and end user device roaming.
• Understanding of copper and fiber data cabling, e.g. CAT6, single mode and multi-mode fiber optics.
• Working knowledge of Linux from installations, file systems, using text editors such as vi, general Linux CLI commands and Linux systems administration.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft back office technologies. Although most of our Active Directory / ADFS, Mail systems, etc. are managed by a separate team your experience to discuss problems or areas of improvement would be advantageous.
• Project management abilities and technical task execution experience.
• Strong analytical skills with proven problem solving ability of complex technical issues.
• Essential you have worked in a customer facing role which requires solid technical aptitude, excellent oral communication and written skills to develop clear and concise documentation and to engage effectively with the business at all levels, in different situations.
• Proven ability to operate in high pressure situations, successfully handle multiple competing priorities and possess a high level of discipline while displaying a high degree of flexibility and professionalism.
• Vendor certification of the following would be beneficial: Cisco, Linux/Unix System Support, MS Windows System Support – LAN / WAN and Wireless.
• Telecom knowledge including VOIP / SIP and mobile technologies advantageous.
• IT / ICT further education qualification.
• Help Desk / Technical support management experience and some team leading experience would be advantageous.
• Ability to develop the skills needed to support specific Fulfillment Centre Automated Systems.
• Ability to coordinate with remotely based support groups to implement IT changes.
• Proven ability to learn and apply new technology.
We’re looking forward to receiving your application, in English.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Amazon takes data protection seriously and respects EU and local data protection laws. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV, you authorize the hiring Amazon company to store your personal information in the electronic database maintained by Amazon Corporate LLC. in the USA or one of its affiliates for the purpose of assessing your suitability for this and future job vacancies and to pursue your recruiting process.
If at any time you want your personal data to be deleted, you simply need to notify the hiring Amazon company. Amazon will not share your personal information with any third party without your prior consent. As part of your interview process with Amazon you may be asked to authorize the hiring Amazon company to separately verify your application data and personal background through a third party service provider.
About Afaq - Warehouse Branch (Amazon)
Amazon.com, a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, Washington, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Since Jeff Bezos started Amazon.com, we have significantly expanded our product offerings, international sites, and worldwide network of fulfilment and customer service centres. Today, Amazon.com offers everything from books and electronics to tennis rackets and diamond jewellery.
If you thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment, you’ll meet your match with us, as you will be part of a vibe of constant improvement, where the things you do at one moment, you will not necessarily be doing 6 months later. We don’t like to sit still, which is why we always treat every day like the first day. A day to make more good things happen for our customers. It’s that kind of spirit that drives our success now and keeps us ahead of the competition in the future. And you could be part of it. It’s as simple as this: Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History."